Tuesday, September 16, 2014

September 16, 2014

Friendships. What a beautiful thing!

You see, friends were designed, I believe, for a specific purpose. To point us to Jesus. There have been countless times when I have relied on my friends to pull me through my struggles. Not that they did anything in their power, but that they displayed God's love and affection so powerfully that I realized God's love for me once again. THIS is a friend's commision.

I am so blessed to have the friends that I do. I used to think I was alone in my faith, and I struggled and battled on the front lines alone for many years, crying out to Jesus for strong Christian friends. Had a few friends that knew Jesus but didn't live like Him for a while. But then God opened my eyes to all those walking beside me, and so I reached out. And now I have a central group of people that help me through whatever I'm dealing with!!

Friendships are SO important to have. The build you up. They grow you spiritually. They even challenge your patience and love as you have disagreements. Friends, in essence, show us a unique facet of Jesus. A friendly one. To be loved unconditionally is a beautiful thing, and I can think of no better example of this than a friend.

You see, a marriage is too intimate. You may be best friends, but there is something radically different from a friend and signicificant other. There is a certain connection unable to be reached through marriage. Marriage will change your perspective on someone... one you used to be friends with now has become someone you cherish and adore.

Not that friends cannot be this way, but that inexplicable difference is profound. To be loved by a friend is beautiful. No matter your faults, your issues, your shortcomings; a friend will always carry you through. They won't get mad, they will only empathize and encourage. They will TRULY love you. Love has come to mean acceptance by today's terms, but a friend won't accept ill-behavior. They will change you for the better.

I view friendships as God's metaphor for the Holy Spirit inside of us. It points us to Jesus, shows us whats right, and tells us what we can do to please God! It steers us towards Him, prays for us, and comforts us through our affliction. While not tangible, the Spirit still plays a massive part in our lives! It holds us ACCOUNTABLE, perhaps a friend's greatest responsibility. If you've got the Spirit, you WILL know if you have wronged someone or God.


Accountability. I encourage you all to find accountability partners for yourself, if you don't have one already. Tell them one area you struggle with sin. For me, I struggle with pride. In fact, it got me into trouble the other day. Anyways, keeping each other on the straight and narrow is so important, and its much easier to live for Christ if you've got people backing you!! They will truly help you #LiveItLikeJesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment