Tuesday, August 4, 2015

More Than Conquerors

"I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, God's word remains in you, and you have had victory over the evil one." - 1 John 2:14b

Oh, the grace of my God that allows this to be said of me! When I look at my wretched self, I see only my weakness, my abandon of the law, and my defeat at the hands of sin. But my God, who knows my sin, has forgotten it! When I come to Him, broken and ashamed, and I wonder how He could ever love me, I cannot look to the heavens. My face is planted in the dust from which I came because of my grief at abandoning my first love. I am torn, beaten, and oppressed as I approach my Savior because I know that I deserve condemnation; and with it, death.

But I stand before you today, knowing full well that my God has forgiven me. That His grace can cover my wretchedness. That while, if the world could see the extent of my sin, they would agree that I deserve death; even while I live before their eyes. The love of my God is so great that He would separate myself from my sin as far as the east is from the west; I cannot even testify against myself because my God has forgotten the evidence of my depravity!

The only choice left, instead of fearing condemnation, is to embrace the grace freely extended to me. When I look at me, I see nothing worth loving. But my God in all His wonderful love chooses to see me as a reflection of His Son, Jesus Christ, who died on a cross that I might live rather than suffer condemnation! To die for all my sin, no matter when it occurs. And not just a judicial erasure of my condemnation, but a Fatherly forgiveness which flows from an everlasting heart, if I would only confess my sin.

What fear is there in approaching a gracious God? Surely I feel fear as I approach Him in my shame, but that is because I do not see Him for what He is. How could I? He is unmistakably a mystery such that none could understand! But as I come to Him in my own depravity, unworthy to be called a son of God, He rushes to me with arms wide open and calls me Blessed. And I am just that, to know a God so faithful and loving that despite my rebellion He chooses to give me grace.

Mirrors reflect the light, and I am a reflection of the Light. Reflections cannot see themselves, which is why I cannot see myself as God sees me; when I examine my life, I see wretchedness, but my God views me as I truly am: a product of grace. While I will never comprehend how, or why, He chooses to love me so, I do know this: He won't stop.

In my weakness, my God reveals His strength. In my rebellion of the law, my God presents a new law: grace. In my losing battle against sin, my God reveals His victory. I do not trust in my bow, and my sword does not bring me victory; You alone, Lord, are my victory. Your victory is shown in my life when I am able to stand confident in Your grace though I deserve to die. Sin has no power over me, unless I let it snare my mind into thinking I am worthless.

I am strong. I have God's word within me. I am victorious, no, more than victorious, because of the grace of my God. It is not by me that these are possible, but only because I have claimed the life of Jesus Christ as my own, and it's Him that is strong, victorious, and the Word of God. No longer do I need bother to identify myself as lost, for I am found, and boldly I stand before you to praise the God who has even today saved me from my own depravity. Thanks be to Him who lives forever and ever!

Lord, help me to grow in my faithfulness and my love for You, because although You have forgiven me, I do not want to disappoint You any longer. Give me the strength and desire and courage to follow You, no matter where You go. My faith is weak, and I am full of sin, and yet I walk in the Light because of You; allow me fellowship with Yourself. Redeem my worthless acts and glorify Yourself even in my failures.

My God, You are wonderful and there is none like You. Lord, reign in me. Reign in Your power; over all my dreams, and in my darkest hour. You are the Lord of all I am, so please reign in me again! Lord, I give You my heart, I give You my soul. I live for You alone! Every breath that I take, every moment I'm awake, Lord, have Your way in me!

5 comments:

  1. Very true and well said! We stand together under the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Amén to the prayer also, I join in your prayer, Jesus, help me to grow in my faithfulness and my love for You. Amen!

    ReplyDelete