Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Activity Over Apathy

Living an exposed lifestyle before God, and before others, is pretty difficult.

I've been absent from writing these past few days as I grapple inwardly with my own personal faith. These are the summer months, and little stands to occupy my time. Apathy consumes much of what I do. I'll get started on a mindless activity, and before you know it, the day is gone and almost nothing was achieved. Productivity has dropped, and I pray for God to help me out of my apathy; and yet, I don't seek Him.

Pursuit tends to change things. Instead of waiting to be rescued, in the case of apathy, we must push ourselves to chase after God. It'll be uncomfortable because of our complacent nature. However, the alternative - remaining apathetic - is unacceptable. How can we say we have fellowship with God, and yet remain far from Him? If we aren't completely committed to His call on our lives, are we committed to Him at all?

This week I've stayed up late for not much purpose at all, and it's taken a toll on my body. In addition, I've eaten things that cause my body to begin to struggle. My immune system is weakened, and I have a perpetual cold, and I'm pretty sleepy. And that's all because of my complacency. I am not actively fighting the great destroyer of faiths: apathy.

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence,
reckless abandon wrapped in common sense,
deep water faith in the shallow end! 
And we're caught in the middle." - Casting Crowns

A halfway Christian isn't Christ-like at all. Our world perceives Christians as hypocrites because the majority of us don't DO anything. Sunday mornings and volunteer hours constitute our faith; not radical love and unconditional grace. Jesus doesn't call us to just love our neighbor. He one-ups Himself later, and gives us a new command: to love others as He has loved us. Now, if we were loving our world the same way He loved us, we'd start to see some conflict.

People don't respond well to unconditionality. They want what is coming to them; be it a promotion or a punishment. So to be given kindness, generosity, love, grace, mercy, etc. freely means that resistance will ensue. Complacency is much more comfortable, for both the Christian and the unbeliever. The Christian can live their life without much life-change and the unbeliever can continue to receive what they deserve from the Christian. And therefore, they can continue to label Christians hypocrites, because in their own experience, the Christian is one. An unconditional lifestyle is a Christ-like lifestyle.

I've been a hypocrite. And when I realize that I'm being one, like I have been this week, it feels awful. I too have contributed to the stereotypical Sunday Christian. Maybe I live a little better than most on the outside, and if I do, that makes it even worse. Because I know that inside, in my heart, I'm just going through the motions.

Sitting in Bible study and going to church just does not feel right when Jesus is absent. The shame and justification combat each other; one recognizing my wrong-doing and seeking to hide it, the other ignoring my wrong-doing and keeping it distant. But what God calls us to is an exposed lifestyle; one filled with confession.

Of course, we need not confess every sin to everyone. We do need to do so to our God. But there are times when we are called to examine ourselves, see the sinful nature, and allow for the accountability of the community around us. 

So, as I seek out my God and my King this evening and apologize for my lukewarm behavior, I ask that you join me in prayer. Pray for me, but also for the Body of Christ as a whole. We could all use a little more activity and a little less apathy. Together, we can uplift each other, and exhort those around us to #LiveItLikeJesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment