Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Instrument

“Where there is hatred, Lord, let me sow Your love. Where there’s injury, let forgiveness be enough. Are we giving up fighting the good fight? Where there is despair, just a flicker in the flame could break the veil of night.” - Matt Maher

As I reflect on this election and the results from last night, I initially wasn’t as concerned as some others that I know. I know that God is in control. I know that there are checks and balances in place, and that the president is only in office for four years before we do it all over again. However, after attending a discussion session at my school this evening about how we as Christians should move forward, my perspective started to change.

We were given the statistic that the majority of self-proclaimed white evangelical Christians voted in a great majority for Donald Trump, while only about 20% of those who didn’t vote for Trump voted for Hillary Clinton. The Republican party has only in recent history been a party backed strongly by this population. However, this does not factor in the voting behavior of people of color; I know that many of those around me with different skin tones voted against Trump because of the things he said.

Realizing this tonight - as others shared their stories and thoughts - opened my eyes to their perspective. As I’ve interacted with a significant Bahamian population on campus, I’ve come to realize that they have never considered their race before coming to the States. To them, people were just people; there was no black or white. However, understanding that racism is a big issue in our country now, they were deeply hurt by Trump’s comments about people they identify with. Since Trump had never said anything against my people group, I was much less upset by his comments than others were. 

I’m not saying that voting for Trump was wrong. All of us voted in good faith, and because of the priorities we placed on specific policy issues, and I’m glad that those who voted - or withheld their vote - exercised their right to have an opinion. But one student tonight had asked an incredibly insightful and thoughtful question: as a student of Hispanic descent, he and his family were DEEPLY hurt by what Trump had to say about their race. He asked how the church could take steps in reconciling their decision to vote for Trump (the majority of white evangelicals did), and what the Bible says about acceptance and love for everyone. How can we go about understanding people’s hurt and pain (and often, rage) caused by electing someone who is not at all respectful of others?

Furthermore, how can we, as Christians, continue to respect the office of the President, while not condoning his actions or behavior in that office? How can we teach those around us - those watching us - that the Bible does NOT condone all of the actions of any candidate we chose to vote for? How can we reconcile those who are hurting to the truth, love, and grace that is found in the Gospel? These are hard, thought provoking questions.

These are questions I want more people to be aware of and wrestle with as I do the same. In our conversations, be listening to the heart behind people’s words; don’t listen to give a defensive response. Feel free to see things from other perspectives - even Biblically wrong perspectives - because behind those opinions is a story about a beautiful life that was God-breathed. Understanding our neighbors, and responding with words of kindness and acceptance is critical for our community to be recognized as the “Church.”

We are God’s instruments in this world, and we should start the process of reconciliation with those around us who may have felt alienated and hurt by the events that have transpired. And in all things, live it like Jesus.


“To the Father and the Son,
And the Holy Spirit, three in One!
I offer you myself, though I’m broken and spent,
Let me be Your instrument.” - Matt Maher


“May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to You, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” - Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment